So you’re curious about making the switch to cloth pads for your menstrual cycle but not sure where to start? You’ve come to the right place! As a former full-time tampon user turned cloth menstrual pad fanatic, I am here to answer all your questions!
Why choose cloth pads for your period?
First off, why would you want to make this switch given the convenience of disposable period products? There are many reasons. Maybe you’re sick of the environmental or monthly budgetary costs of disposable pads or tampons. You might be looking for a more comfortable and discrete option as opposed to the crinkly and uncomfortable materials used in disposable period pads. Folks who use Lil Helper Hyps say they are more comfortable than a disposable, and over time save you big money and reduce your environmental impact. So there are lots of perks to cloth pads.
How to Use Cloth Pads
The truth is, using a cloth pad is no different than a disposable, with just two added steps and a couple of great bags for storage.
1. Select the right size for your body and flow.
Hyps come in a range from Liner to Max, which indicates their length and absorbency.
There are 4 different sizes available in Hyps cloth pads; a liner, regular, heavy and the new MAX!
The heavy HyPs are great for overnight or heavy flows. The Heavy HyPs have a third layer of absorbent terry and are 12” long.
The HyPs Max are great for overnight and heavy flows, also an amazing option for anyone who is looking for more coverage coming in at 16” long.
As with disposables, you’ll probably want to have a mix of sizes for different flow days. The trial kit is a great place to start!
2. During your period, wear your hyps.
Simply snap your cloth pads around your underwear, just as you would use the sticky adhesive on a disposable. Lots of users report they like to wear tight fitting leggings or yoga pants, for both comfort from period pain, and to help keep the pad in place. Well fitting, cotton undies are important to.
3. When you’re ready, change your pad.
Either rinse immediately (see step one of washing) or store in a zipper wet bag if you are out and about until you are home.
How to Wash Your Hyps Pads
1. Rinse off any blood/residue under cold running water. Until water runs clear. Wring your cloth pads out gently.
2. Place your HyPs in a wet bag, mesh laundry bag or bin until wash day. Air flow is important to prevent odours.
3. Machine wash with a commercially available detergent in a mesh laundry bag. Do not use bleach or fabric softeners. Don't scrub.
4. Hang dry, or tumble dry on low heat for a maximum of 20 minutes. Don't worry if there are some stains. The sun can do wonders for giving your HyPs a face lift.
5. Have an ice cream or climb a mountain. You are a badass and the planet is a better place because of you.
Repeat each month indefinitely, and watch your household waste shrink and your wallet grow now that you aren’t tossing your period products in the trash each month!